Indonesia Ambassador to the Philippines Yohanes Kristiarto Soeryo Legowo: A MAN AHEAD OF HIS TIME
DIPLOMATS are—usually—strict about time. When they don’t arrive in time for their appointments, they come early.
This is literally the case of Yohanes Kristiarto Soeryo Legowo, Indonesia’s Ambassador to the Philippines. Born on the 27th of December in 1962, about a week earlier than his mother’s due date, you could say that it is in his providence to become an ambassador.
Known as Kris to fellow diplomats, friends and associates—his arrival to the family came as a big relief (hence the name Legowo—meaning “big relief” in Javanese). His mother fainted and fell while in church two days before he was born and the accident required stitches on her neck and triggered the contractions.
The youngest in a brood of 10, Legowo became the hands-down favorite in the family.
“I could not deny that everybody was always trying to spoil me.… But doesn’t make me a spoiled child,” Legowo said in a magazine interview last year. But while he has had his share of being pinched in the ear for being naughty, he admitted that he did not really enjoy the overprotectiveness of his parents, brothers and sisters. “But in the end, I put it in a very positive perspective. They did it because they love me,” he said.
His father, Soeryo, was a teacher who imparted to them the value of education. So despite the bouts of teenage rebellion and other misbehaviors—Legowo grew up a decent young man.
“All the values of life I learned it from the family. My father taught us how to pursue dream,” Kris said. “But he always emphasized also that the way we pursue our dream is also important…being Christian, process is very important.” #OpinYon#Indonesia #Foreign
cont | http://bit.ly/17IqauD
- MNLF seeks int’l mediation on 3rd day of standoff (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- PH seeks Indonesia’s help in Zamboanga conflict (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Land for rice plan (fijitimes.com)
- Knowledge Indonesia Excursions (travelingtwoindonesia.wordpress.com)
- Indonesia, South Korea Celebrate 40 Years (thejakartaglobe.com)
- A language that built a nation (thehindu.com)
- Peace talks to go on as Indonesia, US air support (manilastandardtoday.com)
- First in Asia: Philippine bananas to be sold in US (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Indonesia from two perspectives (matadornetwork.com)