JUANDER LUGAW : A Little Business That Can Fly
By: Miriam Fabian
WHAT’S in a name? Apparently, a lot.
Juander Lugaw, the name of a small eatery serving lugaw (rice porridge) and “binaklot” (Ilocano for binalot) in San Pedro, Laguna, was inspired by a popular primetime series featuring a local superhero of the supernatural kind–Juan dela Cruz.
The proprietor of Juander Lugaw, Jose Ian Aguilar, admitted his fondness for superheroes, but his search for the right name for his shop proved to be challenging. First he thought of “Super Lugaw”, but after browsing the website of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), he was disappointed to find out that the name had already been taken. Then there was “Lugaw Juan”, but a quick internet search showed that it was already being used by another business.
Luckily for Aguilar, who is also a father of three, one afternoon, his children were watching Juan dela Cruz on television. Thus, “Juan dela Cruz” and a Filipinized reading of “Wonder” (one popular moniker for certain superheroes like Wonder Woman) were merged to come up with “Juander” while their byline was, “Lilipad ka sa sarap” (the taste will make you fly). #OpinYon #business #JuanderLugaw Miam Tan-Fabian
read cont | http://bit.ly/17QHuOZ
- The Juandering Champions (theweeklysillimanian.wordpress.com)
- Rescued 🙂 (thelaconicsage.wordpress.com)
- Ala eh! Wanna taste the famous Gotong Batangas? (tastebudsofchin2013.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman (readerlymusings.com)
- Why Not The Female Superhero Movie? by Chris Derrick – Sympathy For The Devil #41 | @MDWorld (mdwp.malibulist.com)
- Tara let’s eat Lugaw! (foodblogmapua.wordpress.com)
- iJuander (miriamtycup.wordpress.com)
- Comfort Food: Congee (littlericepot.wordpress.com)
- Comic writing ‘legend’ to unleash Aboriginal superhero (sbs.com.au)
- Wonder Woman is Tricky? (nerdgirlfashion.wordpress.com)