Fidel V. Ramos
Kudos MWSS: Let MWC, Maynilad Hurt
by: Mentong Laurel
LAST September 11, the MWSS denied appeals of the privatized water utilities companies Manila Water and Maynilad for water rate hikes and ordered lowering of water rates for the next five year. As a result, water rates are expected to lower by more than one peso per cubic meter starting October. This is still a far cry from the real lowering of rates that must be attained by the public to match the average water tariff in the region, but it is a good start.
Congratulations to the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) for taking a stand to be pro-People. Special thanks to MWSS acting chief regulator Emmanuel Caparas and his team for standing up for Public Welfare and the Public Good, against the corrupt 1997 concession agreement signed under the corporatist-enforcer Fidel V. Ramos and the compromised MWSS board members then.
The iniquitous pass-on to water consumers of corporate income tax is now ended because of Caparas’ “heroic stand” against pressures from the corporate powers and its controlled media and economist-advocates to keep the income tax pass-on privilege for their corporations. #OpinYon #MWSS #Maynilad
read cont | http://bit.ly/1fL7DlD
- People Win vs. Corporatist Greed (opinyon2010.wordpress.com)
- Water firms ordered to lower rates (manilastandardtoday.com)
- Manila Water seeks ICC arbitration over water rates (business.inquirer.net)
- NBI probes padded list of MWSS retirees (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Solons to probe ‘irregularities’ in setting water rates (bulatlat.com)
- Philippine Water Regulator Orders Companies to Cut Tariffs – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Consumer groups see arbitration between MWSS (business.inquirer.net)
- Manila Water sues govt over rate cut (rappler.com)
- MWSS denies hike plea, orders lower water rates for next 5 years (newsinfo.inquirer.net)