Let’s All Be Media Activists
by: Boy Villasanta
THERE’S no stopping Monique Wilson’s vigilance and militancy against oppressive forces which hinder, suspend or hostage people’s and, specifically, women’s rights.
From last year’s organizing in the Philippines of One Billion Rising to dance for Filipinos’ and women’s rights throughout the world, Monique was personally chosen by Eve Ensler, the internationally renowned feminist and playwright of the controversial and phenomenal theatre piece, “Vagina Monologues” (which Wilson initially introduced and produced in the country by way of her New Voice Company), as Director of the One Billion Rising for Justice campaign in next year’s February 14 celebration. #OpinYon #ePlus
read cont | http://bit.ly/1gJEjN1
- Women dance, world trembles (rappler.com)
- Global protests vs violence on women to intensify in 2014 – Monique Wilson (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- White Actresses Barred From Columbia University’s Vagina Monologues (thecollegefix.com)
- Cunt (doritossandwiches.wordpress.com)
- Why Vday Started and What Is Mission? (almulamerterfblog.wordpress.com)
- Second stage of ‘One Billion Rising’ is about justice – women’s groups (bulatlat.com)
- Dylan Mcdermott: ‘I’m A Vagina Warrior’ (contactmusic.com)
- First Afghan woman governor wins Magsaysay award (bigstory.ap.org)
- White Girls Banned From Vagina Monologues (moonbattery.com)
- Mind Shift: Enlightening our Global Culture with Russell Brand and Eve Ensler (disinfo.com)
Christopher Po : Heir to the King of Tuna
FOR Filipino-Chinese entrepreneurs, running the business is always a family affair.
The same is true with Ricardo Sy Po, Sr., founder of the 34-year old Century Pacific Group (CPG)—makers of Century Tuna and the country’s largest canned food manufacturer–who has bequeathed a huge responsibility of running the corporation to his son Christopher “Chris” Po.
Chris, President and CEO of CPG Holdings Inc., was the man at the helm when the Century food group teamed up with leading global tuna supplier Thai Union and local fishing giant Frabelle to build a US$20-million tuna processing plant in Papua New Guinea back in 2011.
By casting a wider net via a three-way partnership with global leaders in seafood processing and fishing, the Century Pacific Group (CPG) has built an overseas capacity especially for its private label tuna manufacturing business.
Apart from selling its own canned tuna brands like Century, 555, Blue Bay and Fresca, CPG exports to international buyers that, in turn, market canned fish under their own brands (the company also owns Blue Bay and Fresca Tuna, Birch Tree and Angel milk, Kaffe de Oro and HomePride). #OpinYon #FeatureStory
read cont | http://bit.ly/19MalAM
- The best meal I’ve had was in Tavarua (tavewa.wordpress.com)
- $30 a week.. (cshipley620.wordpress.com)
- Tuna Cakes Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Tuna Pasta Salad (redtri.com)
- Tuna and Tomato Patties (emateurchef.com)
- Going gourmet with canned fish (trinidadexpress.com)
Riding the Yellow Myth
by: Eric Fabian
MOST accounts about the late President Cory Aquino by people who were young adults during the time of the 1986 EDSA People Power uprising are heaps of praises–as if Cory was heaven sent to save the country from the villainy of Marcos.
The truth is, as much as the late Ninoy’s widow have been nice and generous to her relative, friends and associates, she is just as human as the rest of us, prone to social pressure, flawed and not immune to mistakes or oversight. #OpinYon #opinion #CoryAquino
read cont | http://bit.ly/1a9ueTf
- Sins of Cory (opinyon2010.wordpress.com)
- Corruption under the Aquino regime and the need for system change (bulatlat.com)
- Myths, Marketing, and Misdirection: HDTV edition (reviews.cnet.com)
- PETA’s ‘Pamana’: Timing is everything (rappler.com)
- Cory Aquino’s Five Legacies to the Philippines (balitaktakan.wordpress.com)
- UNTOLD STORY: Scandals During The Corazon Aquino Administration (thecontroversialfiles.net)
- Cory Aquino Paintings (bulanadibme.wordpress.com)
- Remembering: Edsa’86 (nstp1upse.wordpress.com)
- Marchers ask Ninoy Aquino to help tell son to scrap pork (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
JUANDER LUGAW : A Little Business That Can Fly
By: Miriam Fabian
WHAT’S in a name? Apparently, a lot.
Juander Lugaw, the name of a small eatery serving lugaw (rice porridge) and “binaklot” (Ilocano for binalot) in San Pedro, Laguna, was inspired by a popular primetime series featuring a local superhero of the supernatural kind–Juan dela Cruz.
The proprietor of Juander Lugaw, Jose Ian Aguilar, admitted his fondness for superheroes, but his search for the right name for his shop proved to be challenging. First he thought of “Super Lugaw”, but after browsing the website of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), he was disappointed to find out that the name had already been taken. Then there was “Lugaw Juan”, but a quick internet search showed that it was already being used by another business.
Luckily for Aguilar, who is also a father of three, one afternoon, his children were watching Juan dela Cruz on television. Thus, “Juan dela Cruz” and a Filipinized reading of “Wonder” (one popular moniker for certain superheroes like Wonder Woman) were merged to come up with “Juander” while their byline was, “Lilipad ka sa sarap” (the taste will make you fly). #OpinYon #business #JuanderLugaw Miam Tan-Fabian
read cont | http://bit.ly/17QHuOZ
- The Juandering Champions (theweeklysillimanian.wordpress.com)
- Rescued 🙂 (thelaconicsage.wordpress.com)
- Ala eh! Wanna taste the famous Gotong Batangas? (tastebudsofchin2013.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman (readerlymusings.com)
- Why Not The Female Superhero Movie? by Chris Derrick – Sympathy For The Devil #41 | @MDWorld (mdwp.malibulist.com)
- Tara let’s eat Lugaw! (foodblogmapua.wordpress.com)
- iJuander (miriamtycup.wordpress.com)
- Comfort Food: Congee (littlericepot.wordpress.com)
- Comic writing ‘legend’ to unleash Aboriginal superhero (sbs.com.au)
- Wonder Woman is Tricky? (nerdgirlfashion.wordpress.com)
PH tops HK Open Memory Tilt
THE Philippines topped the first Hong Kong Open Memory Championships at the True Light Girls College in Hong Kong last September 28-29.
A 20-member Philippine team got a total score of 15,198 in the event, beating representatives from Mongolia, Hong Kong, Japan, China, Indonesia and India.
“The First Hong Kong Open Memory Championships included events, such as names and faces, random numbers, speed numbers, playing cards, spoken numbers, binary numbers, abstract images, historic/future dates, random words and speed cards,” the Department of Foreign Affairs said.
In a news release, the DFA said Mark Anthony Castañeda won the gold with a high score of 5,239.
Erwin Balines won a silver while Johann Randal Abrina won a bronze in the event, it added.
The DFA said the Hong Kong Memory Championships was founded by the Hong Kong Memory Sports Council and is sanctioned by the World Memory Sports Council.
“Memory sport is for everyone. It has become popular among Western countries for some time and is rapidly gaining popularity in Southeast Asia where more people are aspiring to become mental athletes,” the DFA said. #OpinYon #Foreign #Philippines
- Filipino workers not pawns in HK demand for apology – DFA spokesman (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- What Hong Kong needs to become a kick-ass destination? (fromasiawithlife.wordpress.com)
- Hong Kong could switch to yuan and dump US dollar (endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com)
- HK amenable to ‘put behind’ hostage-taking issue (manilastandardtoday.com)
- Mobile Activities in the Hong Kong Metro: Texting, Playing, Videos (mobilesociety.typepad.com)
- PCCW, I-Cable Win Free Television Licenses in Hong Kong – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- De Lima denies HK trip rumor (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Chinabound: Shenzhen (sonjamarlene.com)
- HK journalists evicted from APEC (justanotherhker.wordpress.com)
- DFA protests call to bar Filipino workers from Hong Kong (globalnation.inquirer.net)
[by Miguel Raymundo]
THE guessing game is on. Will PNoy finish his term?
The answer to that question is not a dare to impeach him, but also how deep the Filipinos are hurt by an incompetent and dishonest President.
“Impeach me!” President Benigno S. Aquino III dares the people.
Believing in “doctored” surveys, Aquino is confident—and deludes himself that the people love him and his family so much that they can empty with impunity this poor country’s coffers and that still more Filipinos will keep them on the pedestal.
He is likely to lose this dare as the middle class has taken to the streets and is now leading the march to stamp out corruption in government and bring behind bars those who have stolen people’s money. #OpinYon #PNoy #Incompetent #Dishonest#Philippines
read cont | http://bit.ly/15UPQqq
- Sins of Cory (opinyon2010.wordpress.com)
- Aquino dare smacks of political arrogance – militants (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- PH ups penalties for animal cruelty amid ‘crush video’ fury (rappler.com)
- HK newsmen heckle PNoy; axed at APEC (manilastandardtoday.com)
- Aquino warned to heed call to scrap ‘pork’ or face ‘point of no return’ (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Aquino, other gov’t execs in plunder raps (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Rappler Newscast | October 2, 2013 (rappler.com)
- Filipino troops retake 70% of rebel-held villages (bigstory.ap.org)
- PNoy rules out second term even if Charter allows it (manilastandardtoday.com)
- PNoy dares critics: Impeach me (rappler.com)
Pinoy Leader in Hawaii Gets ‘Equal Opportunity’ Award
A FILIPINO community leader in Hawaii has been awarded for his outstanding accomplishments in the field of equal opportunity, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced on Friday.
Dr. Serafin “Jun” Colmenares, executive director of the Hawaii State Office of Language Access (OLA), received the 2013 William J. Harris Equal Opportunity Award last September 19, the DFA said in a statement.
The DFA described Colmenares as “a prominent and active leader of the Filipino community in Hawaii. He received the award during the 77th Annual Conference of the National Association of State Workforce Agencies (NASWA) in Denver, Colorado. #OpinYon #Pinoy #Foreign
read cont | http://bit.ly/1bTE9Qd
- DFA will assist Filipina elderly allegedly mistreated in Seattle airport (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- For passport needs, DFA opens Alabang office (rappler.com)
- BI to DFA: Watch out for passports with Napoles, brother look-alikes (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Why 3,300 Pinoys refuse to leave Syria (rappler.com)
- DFA memory bandwidth (cs.stackexchange.com)
- Filipino nurse in Riyadh dies from lethal respiratory disease (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Hawaii community council to host entrepreneurship seminars – Inquirer.net (prgnewshawaii.com)
- Saudi Arabia: A few more details on the Filipina MERS cases (crofsblogs.typepad.com)
- Aquino to visit South Korea in October (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- No Filipino hurt or killed in fresh clashes in Egypt (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- ← Previous