AMBASSADOR WILHELM M. DONKO : Man of Literature and the Arts
BEFORE shifting to foreign service, WILHELM Maximillian Donko—Austrian Ambassador to the Philippines—was a writer and journalist by profession.
Born in Scharding, Linz, Donko worked as a free-lance journalist in the 1980s writing mainly about US naval issues. And even after joining the Austrian diplomatic service in 1990, Donko never lost his love for writing.
Coming to Manila in 2009 from his first posting as ambassador in Korea, Donko is the author of two books: “An Austrian View of the Philippines 1858” (published in 2011 by e-publi GmbH—Verlasgruppe Holtzbrink, Berlin) and “A Brief History of the Austrian Navy” (published in 2012).
In his first book, Donko brings to light the chronicles of the frigate Novara, the first Austrian warship to make a port call in the Philippines. Basically, a scientific mission, Norvara had renowned Austrian scholars and artist Josef Selleny who chronicled the mission by through paintings sketches, drawings and aquarelles. #OpinYon #Austria #Foreign #Arts #Literature
read cont | http://bit.ly/1hyrHpJ
- Swiss Ambassador to the Philippines Ivo Sieber: IN LOVE WITH THE PHILIPPINES (opinyon2010.wordpress.com)
- LIVE: #ProudOfMyAge ambassador launch (rappler.com)
- Wilhelm Sasnal (Polish painters series) (mapart.me)
- Torrential rains shut down Philippine capital (bigstory.ap.org)
- Nearly 100 Philippine rebels killed or captured (bigstory.ap.org)
- Carrera Sunglasses Are For Men With Passion (trendeyewear.wordpress.com)
- Kansas City Chiefs’ Fans No Longer Losing Sleep Over Manning Brothers (rantsports.com)
- Ferry sinks after collision in Philippine port (bigstory.ap.org)
- Shopping, dining more fun in PH (manilastandardtoday.com)
- Great War: Wilhelm’s Hat (squirrelspot.wordpress.com)
JUANDER LUGAW : A Little Business That Can Fly
By: Miriam Fabian
WHAT’S in a name? Apparently, a lot.
Juander Lugaw, the name of a small eatery serving lugaw (rice porridge) and “binaklot” (Ilocano for binalot) in San Pedro, Laguna, was inspired by a popular primetime series featuring a local superhero of the supernatural kind–Juan dela Cruz.
The proprietor of Juander Lugaw, Jose Ian Aguilar, admitted his fondness for superheroes, but his search for the right name for his shop proved to be challenging. First he thought of “Super Lugaw”, but after browsing the website of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), he was disappointed to find out that the name had already been taken. Then there was “Lugaw Juan”, but a quick internet search showed that it was already being used by another business.
Luckily for Aguilar, who is also a father of three, one afternoon, his children were watching Juan dela Cruz on television. Thus, “Juan dela Cruz” and a Filipinized reading of “Wonder” (one popular moniker for certain superheroes like Wonder Woman) were merged to come up with “Juander” while their byline was, “Lilipad ka sa sarap” (the taste will make you fly). #OpinYon #business #JuanderLugaw Miam Tan-Fabian
read cont | http://bit.ly/17QHuOZ
- The Juandering Champions (theweeklysillimanian.wordpress.com)
- Rescued 🙂 (thelaconicsage.wordpress.com)
- Ala eh! Wanna taste the famous Gotong Batangas? (tastebudsofchin2013.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman (readerlymusings.com)
- Why Not The Female Superhero Movie? by Chris Derrick – Sympathy For The Devil #41 | @MDWorld (mdwp.malibulist.com)
- Tara let’s eat Lugaw! (foodblogmapua.wordpress.com)
- iJuander (miriamtycup.wordpress.com)
- Comfort Food: Congee (littlericepot.wordpress.com)
- Comic writing ‘legend’ to unleash Aboriginal superhero (sbs.com.au)
- Wonder Woman is Tricky? (nerdgirlfashion.wordpress.com)
CARLOS CHAN: The Sweet Taste of Success
BUSINESSMAN and Philippine Special Envoy to China Carlos Chan is a newcomer to Forbes magazine’s list of the 50 Richest Filipinos [with a net worth of US$500 million as of July 2013]—but he is certainly no greenhorn in trade and commerce.
The eldest son of Chinese immigrants from Fujian province, Chan is big boss of the family-owned Liwayway Marketing Corporation (LMC), distributor of the popular laundry starch and now the Oishi brand of food products.
Notoriously shy and elusive to the media—often introducing himself as the brother of Ben Chan, founder of Bench apparel—Chan has propelled Liwayway Marketing to international recognition. #OpinYon #Feature #Success #Oishi #LiwaywayGawgaw
read cont | http://bit.ly/1bTOpb7
- Theme park plans for Jackie Chan (edition.cnn.com)
- Film: Newswire: Jackie Chan creating amusement park dedicated to the fun of looking at Jackie Chan’s stuff (avclub.com)
- SAN ANTONIO: Homophobic City Council Member Elisa Chan Resigns (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- OK, You Steal the Money, I’ll Steal the College – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- China manufacturing growth slower than expected (kansascity.com)
- A Mother’s Love (happyinnocentmusumesenshi.wordpress.com)
- Luxury Jewelry Brand Qeelin Poised for Asian Expansion (forbes.com)
- Councilwoman Elisa Chan Resigning (kabb.com)
- shoulda? Woulda? coulda? (chanchanscrochet.wordpress.com)
A Rising Star in the Art Scene
By Miriam Tan-Fabian
ART can transport you to another world. It can be explosive and provocative, subtle and sensual, pastoral and familial. Art can be anything you want it to be, because perhaps more than any other medium, the saying that, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” certainly holds true for art.
You have to view art to experience it.
While I am neither a professional art critic nor an art teacher, as an avid enthusiast and sincere lover of art, I often go to exhibits when my schedule would allow it. I am fortunate enough to have several artist friends in both the art and independent music scenes who keep me informed about any new and upcoming exhibits and or performances. So despite my heavy schedule, when I have time, I go. #OpinYon #LifeStyle #Art #GabLopez
read cont | http://bit.ly/1feZuYf
- Problems and Transformations in Critical Art // 2004 (reading review) (cuibafilms.wordpress.com)
- Artist Rocks (ithinkicanonline.com)
- Art Unknown (unknownartistfm.wordpress.com)
- Arcadia (dianawestberg.wordpress.com)
- Silvano Lora: His legacy lives on (cunydsi.typepad.com)
- Relational aesthetics/art & Nicolas Bourriaud (dialoguesentredeux.wordpress.com)
- the drive. (myartteacherisanazi.wordpress.com)
- Uphirst this Pollocks! (artmoscow.wordpress.com)
- Chanel Spring 2014 Collection: Art Star (snobessentials.com)
- Marisa Merz at the Serpentine: the Guardian Ends Up Being the Prisoner (taboofart.com)
AMBASSADOR JORGE DOMEQ : Selling Spain to the World
WITH over 300 years worth of shared history, it is fitting that Spanish Ambassador Jorge Domeq’s first Asian posting be here in the Philippines.
Born November 28, 1960, Domeq entered the Diplomatic Corps in 1985 serving in the Spanish Embassy in the NATO Council and Brazil. In 2004 he was appointed second in command at the Embassy of Spain in Morocco and in 2005 he held the post of deputy director general of the Bureau of Gibraltar. He began his official tour of duty here in the Philippines in March 2011 and—like a duck to water—easily felt at home with the Filipino culture and way of life.
Much like Filipinos, Domeq says Spaniards are a blending of rich cultures. #OpinYon#foreign #Spain
read cont | http://bit.ly/152GG8K
- Swiss Ambassador to the Philippines Ivo Sieber: IN LOVE WITH THE PHILIPPINES (opinyon2010.wordpress.com)
- Spain and Britain Renew Dispute over Gibraltar (globalriskinsights.com)
- Solis returns reward to Chilean Embassy (rappler.com)
- Spain-Britain ties rocked by flap over Gibraltar (kansascity.com)
- Pinoys and world domination (opinion.inquirer.net)
- The Gibraltar Crisis And Measures, Options And Strategies Open To Spain – Analysis (eurasiareview.com)
- Precious Philippines (shymay1996.wordpress.com)
- EU team investigate Gibraltar row (bbc.co.uk)
- Filipino Culture and Identity (nstp1upse.wordpress.com)
A Tale of Two “Elysium” Movies
by: Boy Villasanta
I BECAME aware of the film title “Elysium” when I studied genre films at the 15thPuchon International Film Festival’s 4th Network of Asian Fantastic Film (NAFF) Fantastic Film School in Bucheon City in South Korea in 2011.
Interestingly, there was luncheon and pitching, rare privileges among world filmmakers to socialize and sell their idea concepts and storylines to international investors, producers and marketers apart from local Korean stakeholders for filming.
There was an exciting project that caught my attention inside one of the function rooms of Koryo Hotel where most of the project meetings were held.
I supposed the one talking before an enthusiastic multicultural audience was Nigel D’SA, the producer and actor (of the award-winning Korean-Hindu film “From Seoul to Varanasi”), who was born in London, raised in Canada and now lives in Korea. #OpinYon #ePlus #Elysium
read cont | http://bit.ly/1fHEIS9
- Hometown (stupidhye5419.wordpress.com)
- Bucket List: 5 Fantastic Places to Visit in Korea (travel-stained.com)
- US aircraft carrier conducts military drills with S Korea, Japan (wantchinatimes.com)
- Korean Democracy at a Crossroads (isckoreamedia.wordpress.com)
- South Korea Warns North With Biggest Military Parade in Decade (bloomberg.com)
- The Cine Files in South Korea: We do it all for you! (blogs.montrealgazette.com)
- Five Taiwanese films to play at South Korean film festival (wantchinatimes.com)
- South Korea parades cruise missiles (bbc.co.uk)
- US, South Korea Agree on Expanded Nuclear Deterrence (voanews.com)
- Mother Figures: Filipino matriarchs in new local films (opinyon2010.wordpress.com)
Breastfeeding is ‘In’ in Baguio
MANY mothers in urban areas still shy away from breastfeeding their babies in public, but mothers in Baguio City openly and proudly bared their breasts to feed their babies and toddlers as national breastfeeding awareness month came to a close.
Ladylin Abalos, 28 years old, was one of the 300 lactating mothers who openly breastfed her 3rd child, a 4 month-old baby.
“Lahat ng anak ko exclusive breastfeeding. Malayo sila madapuan ng sakit. Mas daig pa nito ang vitamins,” (All my children are exclusively breasfted. They don’t get sick often. Breastmilk is really healthier and better than vitamin supplements), said Abalos, adding that she no longer had to set aside money for infant formula.
The simultaneous breastfeeding event was held during the opening program of the DOH’s Lakbay Buhay Kalusugan: Kalusugan Pangkalahatan on Wheels (LBK-KP) health caravan, which made its 27th stop in Baguio City last August. #OpinYon #Lifestyle #Baguio
- Talk about a let down… (thatmomcray.wordpress.com)
- Happy Tummy in Baguio (angiecabasag.wordpress.com)
- Province announces $2.5M for breastfeeding, Windsor-Essex needs a boost (blogs.windsorstar.com)
- Underhanded marketing? (mama.ie)
- Chillin in Baguio City (joyoutofoffice.wordpress.com)
- In new plan, Baguio airport likely to take off again (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Baguio students hold ‘Strike Week’ against pork (bulatlat.com)
- Benefits of breastfeeding-WHO recommendations (weinformers.net)
- Greening streets of Baguio City (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Baguio doc leaves behind proofs of kindness (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
Francisco “Frank” Reyes : The King of the Grill
FRANCISCO “Frank” Reyes belongs to a huge family and his culinary roots span more than 140 years.
The grandson of the founder of the famous The Aristocrat restaurant, Reyes has 70 first cousins—but he is the only one in the clan to go into the barbecue business with the opening of Reyes Barbecue in 2002.
Frank’s maternal great grandmother was Luisa Gracia Cruz, who was born in the 1870’s in Navotas, Rizal. Luisa, though unschooled, was a highly-skilled cook who ran a small carinderia in front of their house.
Her specialty, kare-kare—a meat and vegetable stew with a peanut-based sauce—was so delicious, it earned her the nickname “Luisang Kari” in their neighborhood.
Luisa passed on her talents, skills and taste buds to her daughter, Engracia Cruz Reyes, who eventually became the pioneer restaurateur of the Phillipines, and the founder (in 1936) of one of the longest surviving restaurant in the counrty–The Aristocrat. #OpinYon #Business #ReyesBBQ Reyes Barbecue
read cont | http://bit.ly/19Uo60W
- The Dykes of Kare-Kare (therockcrusher.wordpress.com)
- Lola Cafe + Bar (99 Sct Lozano St., South Triangle, Quezon City) (happyfoodtrippers.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Pipian (burntlumpia.typepad.com)
- On The Go (yapaidiok.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday Rob! (mbnicolas26.wordpress.com)
- U-Kare (dktindia.wordpress.com)
- Announcing the Interactive Serious Eats Guide to Barbecue Styles! (seriouseats.com)
- Happy BirthDay Rebecca Doctor!! 🙂 (graciousdes1r3.wordpress.com)
- Susan Kare (joe914.wordpress.com)
- Taguig: Aracama Restaurant (foodtrip.asia)
GOODNESS GRACIOUS GRANDMAS
by: Boboy Yonzon
I AM sleeping with a grandmother. That’s true for almost all married men who still go to bed with their wives. Ewww.
If we are to rate the desirability of a woman just by her looks, how should a grandma look like anyway?
Two Sex Symbols
In the past weeks, there have been strong trends in Internet search for Sophia Loren and Raquel Welch, two sex symbols in my youth who have remained objects – yes, let us admit, that’s the exact word to describe what these geriatric women are in the eyes of appreciating men – of not so decent desire.
Suddenly, sleeping with a grandmother doesn’t seem so bad. All a guy has to do is be flexible with his cutting edge.
Sophia of Italy was probably the woman who made me realize the sense of being male and that it was natural to have an erection when, as a pre-teen, I saw her in “The Boy on a Dolphin” in a double features show in Paco Theater, when that part of the Manila district still had traces of cobble-stoned streets. #OpinYon
read cont | http://bit.ly/GzzIPW
- Grandmas are the same everywhere (kenziegoestosalamanca.wordpress.com)
- Grandma Asking Strangers For Sex PRANK (uniquedaily.com)
- The Grandma Diaries…Day One (thedantediaries.wordpress.com)
- Day 7: Thank you grandma. Спасибо бабушкa. (twenty1days.org)
- A day with Grandma (iristong512.wordpress.com)
- Fabulous at 73! Vintage sex symbol Raquel Welch looks half her age at pre-Emmy party (express.co.uk)
- Grandma Time! (thedantediaries.wordpress.com)
- Raquel Welch In New Versace Movie – What’s Hot and What’s Trending 17 August 2013 (whatshotwhatstrendingnow.com)
- Man Drugs His Own Grandma (thedramshopact.com)
- The gracious God who satisfies (aneededword.wordpress.com)
Green and Profitable
How ChemRes Runs its Business the Ethical Way
By Miriam Tan-Fabian
WATER is life and life comes from water. And while 70% of the planet is made of water, only a small percentage of it is drinkable. At the same time, since pollutants tend to easily contaminate our bodies of water and since water easily disperses, water pollution should be everyone’s concern, especially companies. Such facts seem obvious, but unfortunately, these truths are often lost in the minds of many businessmen when it comes to the environment.
Regrettably, many company owners and top managers share a static mindset that is convinced that reaping profits is inherently irreconcilable with the protection and preservation of the planet and that caring for the environment means additional costs, thus eroding competitiveness, but Engr. Jose L. de Jesus does not agree. #OpinYon #business
read cont | http://bit.ly/1bZvJsS
- China bars water-polluting projects in five cities (vancouverdesi.com)
- China Faces Big Water Crisis (theepochtimes.com)
- Dangerous and Dirty Water in China: Examples From the First Half of 2013 (theepochtimes.com)
- Study: Cilantro helps purify polluted water (insidecostarica.com)
- Fukushima Operator Dumps 1,000 Tons Of Polluted Water In Sea (alternet.org)
- water pollution (travellingfox.wordpress.com)
- Detecting polluted water remotely – Egypt (barakabits.com)
- U.S. EPA Awards Hawaii $1.1M To Control Polluted Water Runoff (wateronline.com)
- Fukushima: 1000 Tons Of Polluted Water Dumped Into Pacific Ocean (infiniteunknown.net)
- SecureWaters Introduces AquaSentinel (hispanicbusiness.com)
- ← Previous
- Next →