Mother Figures: Filipino matriarchs in new local films
by: Boy Villasanta
IN the recently concluded maiden edition of the Film Development Council of the Philippines’ Sineng Pambansa National Film Festival, alternately dubbed as All Masters Film Festival, participated in by the country’s veteran directors, Filipino matriarchs were once again painted and presented in multi-colored and multi-dimensional types.
These were, more or less, underscored in the three (out of nine official entries) films we’ve watched.
In Gil M. Portes’ “Ang Tag-Araw ni Twinkle,” there were at least two mothers, one, Twinkle’s (Ellen Adarna) biological mom, a New People’s Army amazon who was shot dead by a junior military official during an encounter in the boondocks her baby wrapped in cloth around her chest during the fatal shootout, the other, the adoptive ma (Rina Reyes), the wife of senior officer General Payawal (Cris Villanueva).
In Jose Javier Reyes’ “Anong Kulay ang mga Nakalimutang Pangarap?,” there was one matriarch (each generation played intermittently by Madeleine Nicolas and Kimberly Diaz) and a surrogate one, the nanny Teresa (Rustica Carpio). #OpinYon #ePlus #entertainment
read cont | http://bit.ly/19xY9Fm
- 2013 National Film Festival starts Sept 11 (ivejustseenafilm.wordpress.com)
- An emerging ‘summer’ of fine cinema (opinion.inquirer.net)
- All-Masters Edition: 2013 National Film Festival (rappler.com)
- Indelible portrayals buoy up uneven lineup at Sineng Pambansa (entertainment.inquirer.net)
- Theater Time: Ang Tag-araw ni Twinkle (2013) (ivejustseenafilm.wordpress.com)
- Film events push industry development (manilastandardtoday.com)
- National Film Festival at SM Cinemas (manilastandardtoday.com)
- National Film Festival features 12 of the best directors in PH (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Ellen Adarna takes pride in indie role (rappler.com)
- Fdcp’s All-masters National Filmfest at Sm Cinemas Nationwide (naomispenny.blogspot.com)
One thought on “Mother Figures: Filipino matriarchs in new local films”
October 3, 2013 at 6:34 am
[…] Mother Figures: Filipino matriarchs in new local films (opinyon2010.wordpress.com) […]