By Herman Tiu-Laurel
IN AUGUST of 2012 at the height of peace talks between the GRP (Government of the Republic of the Philippines) and the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front), the two negotiating parties belittled the possibility that the forces of Nur Misuari and the MNLF (Moro National Liberation Front) and Amerail Umbra Kato’s BIFF (Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters) could derail the talks.
The convulsions the past week in Mindanao shows the folly of the government and MILF’s presumptuous disregard for the other stakeholders in Mindanao’s future. Then chief GRP negotiator and now Supreme Court Justice Marvic Leonen said, “As far as Nur forces, it is nothing we are too bothered about.”
On August 12, 2013 MNLF founding Chairman Nur Misuari declared the establishment of the United Federated States of Bangsamoro Republik in in his Sulu stronghold, envisioning a territory consisting of Mindanao, Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, Palawan, and Sabah. This declaration came amidst the final stages of peace negotiations between the GRP and MILF to set up the Bangsamoro Political Entity that will replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) that became part of the 1987 Philippine Constitution and created by law through Republic Act No. 6734 known as the ARMM Organic Act.
continuation | http://bit.ly/1a2XwES
- Is the Moro Problem really over? Part II of Two Series (mussol22.wordpress.com)
- Misuari still in Sulu, says ARMM gov (rappler.com)
- Misuari, myths and the MNLF (rappler.com)
- Philippines Struggles With Muslim Rebels (ipsnews.net)
- Habier Malik: Trapped in the city he seized (rappler.com)
- Nightfall comes to Moro armed separatism (opinion.inquirer.net)
- OIC steps in; Misuari loses Kiram (manilastandardtoday.com)
- UPDATE: 200 civilians held hostage in Zamboanga City standoff; 6 killed, 24 wounded (mindanews.com)
- Betraying the Moro cause (dinmerican.wordpress.com)
- A BOHOLANO’S VIEW: Nur Misuari’s Challenge to the Bangsamoro Peace Process (mindanews.com)